Awhile back I shared 30 weird cat facts with you that seemed to be pretty popular with you. Well, those cat facts didn’t even skim the surface of how awesome our feline friends are! Today, I am bringing, even more, fun cat facts for you to sit back and learn and enjoy! I always knew cats were cool, but now they are beyond awesome!
We have had so many pets over the years, cats and dogs alike. I think I was raised just to love animals because I still love them today! Since we moved to the country we are on the hunt for the perfect dog to add to our family and hopefully get along with all of our cats. I am sad to say that all of our baby kittens we had were killed, by coyotes we are pretty sure. We have had so many coyotes roaming around our house and even coming up to our porch area. Hopefully, they will slow down and the next batch of kittens will survive, I was so sad to find them all gone. Enough about that, I will get to the fun cat facts for you all! I just wanted to give a little update.
30 Fun Cat Facts You’ll Really Enjoy
- When a cat is chasing prey, it will keep its head level. Humans and dogs both bob their heads up and down!
- Cats are nearsighted.
- Cat’s claws curve downward, so they can’t climb head-first up a tree!
- Technical term for a hairball is “bezoar”
- A group of cats is called a clowder!
- A house cat’s genome is 96.5% tiger, and they share many behaviors with their jungle friends. These include when they mark with scent, stalk prey, pounce and more.
- A cat’s collarbones are not connected to their other bones as they are buried in their shoulder muscles!
- Around 4 million cats are eaten in Asia each year.
- Cats have 230 bones.
- The first cat in space was a French cat named Felicette (a.k.a. “Astrocat”), in 1963.
- Strangely enough, cats have an extra organ that allows them to taste a scent that is in the air! If you see your cat staring at you with their mouth open, they are picking up scent!
- Cats have whiskers on the back on their front legs!
- 40,000 people are bitten each year by cats.
- It’s been proven that cats can hear better than dogs.
- Cats can also hear up to two octaves higher than a human.
- Cats also have twice as many neurons in their cerebral cortex as dogs.
- Approximate top speed for a cat in a short distance is 33 mph.
- Cats have the largest eyes in proportion to their head in animals.
- A cat’s rough tongue is able to fully lick all the meat off a bone!
- Siamese cats are one of the most popular breeds.
- Some Siamese cats may look cross-eyed because the nerves from the left side of their brain go to mostly the right eye and the nerves from the right side of the brain to the left side. This causes double vision!
- Camels, cats, and giraffes all walk the same way! They move their right feet first and then their left.
- A cat’s fur doesn’t insulate well when wet causing them to be cold.
- Cats are known to live longer when they live indoors.
- Male cats that have been fixed can live off fewer calories in their daily diet.
- A cat has around 12 whiskers on each side of their face.
- A cats jaw can’t move side to side.
- Have you noticed your cats back being super flexible as they twist and turn? It is because they have 53 loosely fitting vertebrae.
- Your feline has about 130,000 hairs per square inch!
- A female cat is also known as a queen or Molly.
I hope you enjoyed these fun facts about cats! What was your favorite fact?