I am about to share some weird facts about cats, and they may very well amaze and surprise you! I have gathered some pretty interesting cat facts to share with you! Did you know that cats are pregnant for around two months, or that cats can spend five hours a day grooming themselves?
To know that your cat can’t taste sweetness is crazy to me! I don’t know what I would be like if I couldn’t taste sweet! Maybe a few pounds lighter, but to never know what you could be missing out on would be insane to me!
Weird Facts About Cats
- Contrary to popular belief, cats and not dogs are the most popular household pet.
- Cats can’t taste sweetness.
- A cat can make around 60-100 different sounds! In addition, these sounds are to speak to their humans, not other cats!
- Cats need to have fat in their diet because they can’t produce their own.
- Cats only sweat through their paws.
- A female cat is pregnant for 58-65 days.
- Cats sleep 70% of their lives. (You’ll love all the sleepy cat memes!)
- A cat can not see directly under their nose, so they struggle to find droppings on the floor to eat.
- Cats have 30 teeth.
- Adult cats don’t meow at each other, but only meow at humans to communicate.
- When kittens are born they have bright blue eyes, then their eyes change color within three months.
- Cats can only remember things for 16 hours.
- Female cats can get impregnated by multiple male cats.
- A female cat can have anywhere from 3 to 7 kittens every four months!
- Most cats can’t digest cows milk properly, making them sick.
More Interesting Facts About Cats
- A cat can live for over 20 years, but the average cat lifespan is 14 years.
- Cats should not eat raw fish. In fact, cats aren’t really fish-eaters to begin with!
- Cats are able to move their ears separately.
- Remarkably, cats are similar to humans in that they have almost identical sections of the brain that control their emotions!
- Some cats will spend 5 or more hours a day grooming themselves.
- Owning a cat can reduce your risk for a stroke and a heart attack!
- Your cat can recognize your voice, so if they don’t acknowledge you, they are ignoring you!
- Most cats have 5 toes on front paws, and four on their back legs.
- Isaac Newton invented the cat door!
- When Abraham Lincoln was president, he kept five cats in the White House.
- Cats have a lower social IQ compared to dogs, but they are able to solve more difficult cognitive problems!
- A cat has 500 skeletal muscles.
- Cats can manipulate the sound of their meow, so they can get you to do things for them. They make different sounds for food, water, and petting, for example.
- A cat can jump around six times its length!
- Cats can move their eyes 180 degrees.
Do you happen to know of any weird facts about cats? If so leave a comment and let me know!
More cat facts for you:
- Even More Fun Cat Facts To Enjoy About Your Feline
- Meow-Nificence Facts About Orange Tabby Cats
- Adorable Facts About Kittens You Might Not Know